In this post I’m going to show you how to get to Hua Hun by train from Bangkok. It’s pretty easy and really cheap (if you don’t mind not having A/C).
Ordinary Train – Bangkok to Hua Hun – 9:40
Ordinary Train – Hua Hin to Bangkok – 14:30
- Train schedule – There is only one local train that goes to Hua Hin every day and it departs promptly at 9:41AM from Bang Sue Junction station. (google maps: https://goo.gl/maps/QJJEFkvUDE39WfEs9)
- Ticket – Sold daily at the ticket booth and cannot be bought ahead or online. The cost is only 44 Bahts as of July 2023. Yes! It’s that cheap!
- Ride experience – For 44 bahts you will board a fan only train, which to my surprise not as hot as I expected it to be. All windows are wide open, fans blowing, and the experience was relatively normal. The ride to Hua Hin is about 4.5 hours. There are toilets on board but pack your own toilet paper/soap.
- Preparations – I suggest you buy a couple of sandwiches and drinks from 7-11 to take with you on the train. If you forget or don’t have time, on some stops along the way there will be locals who will hop on the train to sell Pad Krapao (Pork basil chilli rice), snacks, and cold drinks.
- Return trip – From Hua Hin station there is a train that departs at 2:30PM every day. Like in Bangkok, tickets can only be purchased on the day. However, in Hua Hin you can only purchase it one hour prior to departure time (says one ticket staff, but I’m not sure if this is entirely true).
Photos from the train ride: