It’s going to be unlikely that Thailand will open it’s borders for international tourist travellers this year.
Originally the plan was to open the country in three phases where the third phase was to allow tourism to happen again on August 1, 2020.
Since the spike of cases of COVID happening around the world, the outlook is looking dim and the August 1st date has been pushed further to an unknown date.
PLANS TO OPEN PHUKET FOR TOURIST
A statement has been made by the Tourism Authority of Thailand to allow tourist to enter Phuket on October 1, 2020. This will act as a pilot program for the rest of Thailand to see if opening the rest of the country to the world is plausible.
Entry into Phuket will still have strict rules such as 30 days mandatory stay with 14 days in-hotel quarantine. However, during quarantine period you will likely be able to enjoy the hotel amenities.
AMNESTY VISA PERIOD ENDING SEPT 26, 2020 – ALL VISITORS MUST LEAVE THAILAND
Since the pandemic which hit in March, many foreigners have been stranded in Thailand. This led to an amnesty period, which had been extended three times, allowing those with expired visas to stay until Sept 26, 2020.
This gave ample time for all international visitors to seek repatriation flights home or update their visas accordingly.
WHO IS ALLOWED ENTRY INTO THAILAND AT THIS TIME?
- Foreigners participating in trade fairs in Thailand
- Foreign film crews filming in Thailand
- Foreign workers from Cambodia, Laos, and Myanmar for food and construction industries
- Foreign visitors for medical and wellness services.
Requirements for entry
Anyone eligible to enter must obtain a “Certificate of Entry” from their local Thai embassy or consulate.
Requirements for entry may differ between groups of eligible travelers. Some measures include:
- A fit-to-fly health certificate
- A negative COVID-19 certificate for a PCR test that has been taken 72 hours before departure
- Proof of health insurance that covers COVID-19 medical examination and treatment up to US $100,000 minimum
- You may be required to undergo 14 days of quarantine.
Shop for travel items on our shopping page!